Griffith Real Estate came into being as HJ Hanrahan & Co in 1928 in the small township of Merriwagga, with the main thrust of the business aimed at the rural sector.
Principal HJ (Ray) Hanrahan had a fascination with auctioneering that was inspired by the livestock saleyards in Victoria, which he attended with his father when he was a small boy.
In 1940, with his second wife and children, he moved to Griffith taking over the management of Ross-Reid Wool, Skins & Seed merchants situated in Yambil Street, which is where he began his real estate agency.
In about 1942, Mr Hanrahan opened another small office in Banna Avenue as HJ Hanrahan & Co and during the mid-forties he expanded to a larger office in Kooyoo Street, where he operated as a real estate, stock & station agent, auctioneer and valuer.
In the late 1940's to the early 1950's, he was believed to be the first agent to hold an on-site auction for a residential premise in Benerembah Street. He also auctioned the original sub-division blocks at Waddi, south Darlington Point, when this land was first released for sub-division.
In later years the business was family run, with son Mick and daughter Maureen working in the company until Mr Hanrahan passed away at the age of 58.
Stan Pellizzer purchased the company in 1959 after witnessing the Griffith community ongoing population growth.
He helped many immigrant families purchase properties, which were mainly agriculture and viticulture based.
During the early years of owning the business, Mr Pellizzer changed the company name from HJ Hanrahan & Co to Griffith Real Estate and focused mainly on his area of expertise, which were the sales of rural properties and investments.
Mr Pellizzer eventually sold Griffith Real Estate to Tony Santolin and Brian Bertolin to semi-retire and pursue other interests. He now lives in Queensland and said he was proud to have played a part in the growth of Griffith's real estate industry.